Naum Knop (1917-1993) was born in Buenos Aires, Argentina, to parents of Ukranian descent. In his youth, Knop studied wood carving and design in his father’s workshop. In 1939, he graduated from the Escuela Nacional de Bellas Artes in Buenos Aires. In 1947 Knop left Argentina to visit various artistic centers around the world, and to show his work in the United States and in Europe. In 1970 the artist founded his own studio, and in 1988 he established his own museum. Knop’s monumental sculptures can be seen at the San Martín Cultural Center in Argentina, and in Silver Spring, Maryland.